Guys, we are super close to finishing the Pickens' before and afters! Just two more after this!
Originally I'd planned to do a fun and bold wallpaper in this tiny little bath, but once we decided to sell (you can read why here), we decided it was best to go with paint and a safer color option that would appeal to more people. Here's a look at the bathroom before.
Not terrible, but not great either. It's hard to tell from these images, but the paper was peeling off the walls. There was no ventilation in the bathroom when we moved in, so it was not an ideal situation for paper with all the moisture,
When I was peeling the paper from the walls (read here for what's worked for us), there was another layer of what we think was wallpaper underneath it. It peeled off the wall super easy up until close to the ceiling and than it would just not peel for anything. We're not even %100 sure it was wallpaper. It was just really odd. I mudded over the edges where whatever it was quit peeling to smooth out the walls and used an oil-based primer to coat the walls before painting. Let me tell you, although it is not fun to clean up after, that oil-based primer covers a multitude of sins, and if we get to work on another old house, I'll probably be using it again. Here's some images to show you what I'm talking about with the mystery material.
When choosing a color, I broke my own rule and did't sample the paints first. We were in a rush and didn't really have time or want to spend the extra money. I taped paint chips up and moved them around throughout the day to see them in different light. In the end, the color came out with more of a green tint than I wanted, but it still worked well with the rest of the house and we ended up using the same color in the office and kitchen. It's really amazing what just paint did for this little room! I would have loved to update it more, but I guess I'll just have to wait until the next house!