Natalie Mollema is a mom to four littles - Troy, Carter, and twins Landon, and Lindi - and wife to Chris. She lives in Rock Hill, SC and has recently started her own cake business. I recently got to spend the day photographing Natalie behind the scenes decorating her cakes. It was a fun filled afternoon of cakes, kids, and m&m's! I've been lucky enough to enjoy Natalie's cakes on several occasions and can vouch for not only their good looks and amazing designs, but also their fabulous taste! Follow her on Facebook at For Heaven's Cakes and read below to learn more about her business and what's it like being a mom and starting your own business!
- How did you get interested in cake decorating?
I started when my kids were babies, I would make their birthday cakes and thought “wow, this is really fun!”
- Do you make anything besides cakes for you clients?
As of right now, just cakes and cupcakes.
- How did you learn to decorate cakes?
I taught myself by making my kids’ cakes. I also watch tips on youtube.
- Where do you get your inspiration/ideas?
A few places. I first listen to my clients and their ideas. Then, I take a look on Pinterest and find an idea for a starting point. From there I incorporate the client’s ideas.
- What has been your favorite cake that you’ve made so far?
This cake was so fun to make. There was a list of things the daughter liked. God, soccer, reading, music, dance, jazz and zebra prints.
- Where did the name For Heaven’s Cakes come from and why did you decide on that name?
I am a follower of Jesus Christ and He has given me many talents. I wanted to glorify Him and sharing my gifts with others all while letting people know what I make.
- What is your dream for you business? How far would you like to see it go?
Right now I work out of my home, so I would love to have my own little shop. Nothing too large, but a simple place where people can come in and enjoy a cupcake or slice of cake.
- What is the best thing about being a mom?
Each day is an adventure. It’s loud in my house, but we have a lot of fun and my kids make me laugh all the time.
- What is the hardest part?
There aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done.
- What’s one piece of advice you’d offer to a young mom?
Pray for your kids. From day one, pray for them.
- What’s been the hardest part about being a wife and mom and starting your own business?
I would have to say, juggling it all. I have always done things from the home. I would babysit and make/sell other crafts so my kids are used to me “working” but there is a bit more involved in an actual business versus making a few crafty items here and there for friends.
- What are some of your other hobbies or interests?
I love scrapbooking, drawing, sewing, knitting and reading.
- What is the best part of your job?
Licking out the batter bowl…Can I say that? LOL. Seriously though, I love it when I show my client the cake and see the look on their face.
- What is the most challenging part?
At the stage I am in right now (just starting out) It would have to be getting my name and product out there. I know that my cakes taste great. I know that I put 110% into each and every cake to make it the best it can be. Letting others know this as well, is tough.
- What is your favorite TV show?
Wow, do I have to pick one? I like Survivor and Amazing race among a few others.
If you've found this post inspiring please feel free to PIN it using the image below!