The type of reading I have in mind for this post falls more along the lines of non fiction rather than fiction, but that is not to say that you can't gain these things from fiction as well. I've just been more into self-help books lately in my effort to be the best business owner I can be for my clients and for myself. So with out any further adieu, here are 5 things that I have been gaining from my reading lately and why I think you should read.
- Education: No brainer right? I have been learning so much lately from some of Gary Vaynerchuk's books. He's blown my mind really, and I'm so excited to start implementing some of his practices into my business! If you're into marketing your business through social media or just some encouragement to get out there and hustle, read his books!
- Clarity: Have you ever felt that you just needed to take some time out to think through things, but when you actually sit down and take that time, you don't know where to begin and so things stay just as foggy as they were before? I have felt and did that recently with no luck, but sitting down to read brought some of those things I wanted to think through into clearer focus. Be sure you have a pen and notebook ready to write down your thoughts so you can go back to them later and don't be afraid to put your book down for awhile to think about something that jumps out at you. It is time well spent.
- Inspiration: Reading advice from those who have walked the path before you and have failed and been successful helps fuel the desire to be the best you can be. I feel like lately my vision for myself and for my business has grown a lot, and I'm seeing potential that I wasn't open to before, and let me tell you, it's exciting!
- Motivation: Closely related to inspiration, but I look at motivation as your "get-up-and-go." Reading Vaynerchuk's advice and story as helped refire my hustle. It's been a good reminder that if I put in the work, I will reap the rewards. It's not always about who's the best, but who works the hardest. If you haven't noticed on twitter later (follow me @whitneydphoto!), #hustle is my new favorite word!
- Creativity: Reading can help you think outside the box. I have been trying to think of a way to incorporate video into my business and blog, but hadn't come up with an idea that stood out to me as beneficial for others or different from what was already being done. Reading created an idea for video that I'm super pumped about that I think will benefit my clients and those who follow my blog. It'll be a little while before the idea comes to fruition, but I assure you my wheels are churnin'!
Here's a pic of some of the books I've been reading lately. What about you? What are you reading and how does reading benefit you personally? Leave a comment below! I'd love to hear from you!
(Click on title for link to purchase: Top Left: Crush It! Top Right: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Bottom Left: Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook Bottom Right: Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy )